Family Care Q&A

Prepared by John Dolan, Allegany Arc Family Care

Locations of current homes:
Wellsville 2 homes, Allentown: 1 home, Bolivar 2 homes, Hume 1 home. Total: 6 homes, 10 permanent certified beds and 3 respite beds.

What Staffing supports are there for homes?

The Family Care Home Liaison is the main contact with the Family Care providers. The FCHL visits the home at least once per month, when the individual is at home. At least once a year an unannounced home visit is made. The FCHL checks to insure the home is safe, that all regulations are being adhered to, and reviews expenditures of the personal allowance of the resident. The FCHL also reviews the services being provided to the individual by the FCP and checks to see if there are any new medications, and any visits to health care providers.

  • The family care nurse is an RN that makes at least quarterly visits and monitors the health of the individual.
  • Each individual also has a Care Coordinator who insures the individual is getting all the services that are needed.
  • A behavior specialist is available if needed.

How does a person become a Family Care Provider?

An initial meeting with the Family Care Manager or Home Liaison is scheduled. The program is explained, and if interested, a home visit is scheduled for a safety inspection by the DDSO safely inspector. If there are any areas that need to be improved, a copy of those deficits will be given to the prospective family care provider. A home study must be done, which consists of discussing the families current composition, and their family history. This usually takes several home visits. The FCP also is required to be certified in CPR and First Aide and must take an initial 30 hours of training, related to disabilities. Anyone over age of 18 must clear a criminal background check, as well as the NYS Child Abuse Registry The entire “home study” package is reviewed by the local DDSO and if approved, a final visit by the DDSO Quality Assurance dept, is made at the home, for a final inspection.

What is the amount of money FCP’s receive?

The FCP receives for each individual, a monthly room and board check for $822.48. In addition, a DOC or Difficulty of Care check is earned by the FCP for providing specific services to the individual. Those services are determined at the individuals ISP. The DOC check varies from $170/month to $1142/mo. Each home also gets sitter/respite money each month. The amount varies from $75/month for one individual to $111 for a total of three individuals.

Each family care resident receives a personal allowance of either $141 or $161 per month for personal spending. Each family care resident also receives food stamps each month that are used by the family for their monthly food needs. The food stamp amounts vary, but average nearly $140/month.

Can respite be provider outside of the family care home?

Finding a respite provider is primarily the responsibility of the Family Care Provider, since often; a respite provider will provide respite services in the home. Respite providers must be certified through the Allegany Arc Family Care Program. They must pass a criminal background check as well as be certified in CPR and First Aid. The respite provider may provide respite services in their home, but the home must first pass a safety inspection by the DDSO safety inspector.

How long will the individual live with the Family Care Provider? What happens when I no long live at that home? Where do I go?

Family Care is normally considered a long term living situation. The individual is considered very much a member of the family. If the individual’s physical or emotional needs change, other living situations will be discussed with the team, who include the Family Care provider, the individual, the Care Coordinator, the Family Care Nurse and home liaison, and family of the individual, to develop a plan for a more appropriate living situation. Other living situations may include a different family care home, an IRA (community residence), a supportive apartment, etc.

Can I attend the Recreational groups/programs affiliated with the Allegany Arc if I am in a FC home?

Yes, depending on how much money the activities cost, a family care resident can participate in Recreational programs that are offered by Allegany Arc.

How is a FC home Funded? SSI? Medicaid?

The Family Care program is funded through a combination of funding streams, that include Soc Sec and SSI, ( For the monthly room and board stipend); Medicaid (for the DOC check which is payment for Residential Habitation services) and from a yearly New York State funding contract.

What kind of training is provided to Family care providers?

Family Care providers must have 30 hours of relevant training prior to being certified. They must receive at least 8 additional hours per year. Training must include First Aid and CPR certification, as well as training that is relevant to family care, such as safety, developmental disabilities, autism, behavior etc. Usually there are plenty of relevant training courses offered by Allegany Arc.

What are the state requirements of a FC certified home?

WNYDDSO’s Quality Assurance department visits the homes each year to insure the homes are meeting NYS requirements. At least one unannounced home visit is made each year, as well as monthly home visits by the FC home liaison. The home is inspected monthly by the FC home liaison to insure a safe environment. The family care program is regulated by NYS regulations, which are published in the Family Care manual, which every home has, to refer to. You can also access this online.

For more information about the Family Care program, please contact John Dolan, Allegany Arc’s Family Care Liason, at (585) 593-5067 or