Parent & Family Support Network
Did you know?
* School bus drivers and attendants transporting children with disabilities are required to complete training two times per year. "P.J's Law" which is a bill that was signed by Spitzer on July 3, 2007.
* Parent Members are a required member of the Committee on Special Education (CSE). Part 200 NYS Special Education Regulations. (www.accelerateu.org)
* Committee on Special Education 200.3 viii that states: "An additional member of a student with a disability residing in the school district or neighboring school district, provided that the additional parent member may be the parent of a student who has been declassified within a period not to exceed five years or the parent of a student who has graduated within a period not to exceed five years. Such parent is not a required member is the parents of the student request that the additional member not to participate in the meeting."
* Part 200 NYS State Regulations 200.5 Due Process Procedures Parents shall receive notification of a CSE meeting at least five days prior to the meeting. (www.accelerateu.org)
* Children with Autism who receive a high intensity developmental behavioral intervention starting by age 18-30 months show major improvements in IQ, language, adaptive behavior, and severity of their diagnosis. (Dawson G, Rogers S, Munson J, Smith M, Winter J, Greenson J, Donaldson A, Varley J. Randomized, Controlled Trial of an Intervention for Toddlers With Autism: The Early Start Denver Model. Pediatrics. 2009 Nov 30.)
* Medicaid pays for Communication devices like the Dynavox if a speech therapist/licensed Speech Pathologist deems it medically necessary.
* If your child and/or family member has a developmental disability and is deemed eligible for the Office of Mental Retardations and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD) services he/she will be eligible for Medicaid regardless of their household income.
* Autism now affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* Autism prevalence figures are growing. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* More children will be diagnosed with Autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* Autism costs the nation over $35 billion per year, a figure expected to significantly increase in the next decade. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* Boys are four times more likely than girls to have Autism. (www.autismspeaks.org)
* There is no medical detection or cure for Autism. (www.autismspeaks.org)